Afghan militant attacks up 11 percent: NATO
Kabul: Insurgent attacks in Afghanistan during the past three months were up 11 percent, compared to the same period last year, according to the latest statistics on monthly violence released by the US-led coalition.
The figures, which NATO released yesterday, also show that the number of attacks in June was the highest for any month since fighting surged in the summer of 2010.
The disturbing uptick comes at a time when foreign troops are leaving and insurgents are trying to prove they remain a potent force. It also supports the theory that the insurgency remains undefeated after more than a decade of war, though coalition officials caution against using attack numbers as a bellwether of how the war is proceeding.
The number of "enemy-initiated attacks" such as roadside bombings and gunfire attacks from insurgents rose in all three months of the second quarter, compared with the same months in 2011. This follows 11 consecutive months where attacks were below the number reported in the same month the year before.
The coalition offered two possible reasons for the uptick. A shortened poppy harvesting season prompted insurgents to start their spring offensive earlier this year. Also, with more Afghan security forces on the ground and taking the lead in more operations, more of them are getting killed. There also has been more precise reporting of attacks against Afghan soldiers and police, which could also lead to the higher numbers, the coalition said.
In related statistics, 206 Afghan soldiers were killed from March 20 until June 20, according to the Afghan National Army. March 20 is the first day of the Afghan calendar. No comparable numbers could be obtained for 2011, and no current casualty figures from the Afghan National Police were immediately available.
General John Allen, the top commander of US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, has confirmed that Afghan police and Army casualties were on the rise. He said the coalition was working with the Afghan security forces, now 350,000 strong, to find ways to minimise the deaths of their forces, mostly by roadside bombs known as improvised explosive devices.
"There are things that we`re going to seek to do to try and reduce those casualties," Allen said in an interview earlier this week with a news agency.
"It`s everything from emphasising to their non-commissioned officers and junior officers that they wear their helmets and their body armour ... To `Don`t overload your vehicles`."
While the numbers of enemy-initiated attacks is on the rise, the number of US and foreign troops killed in Afghanistan this year is running below last year. So far this year, 253 NATO service members have been killed in Afghanistan. That compares with 323 killed in the first six months of last year, according to a news agency’s tally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?