Another bomb hits Shia religious procession in Pakistan, 6 killed
Islamabad: At least six persons were killed and nearly 90 others injured on Sunday when Pakistani Taliban targeted a Shia procession with a bomb at Dera Ismail Khan in the restive northwest, on Ashura, the holiest day for the minority community.
The attack was the second to strike the city in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa in as many days.
The bomb, planted in a shop in Chogla area of Dera Ismail Khan, was triggered by remote-control as a procession was passing by.
A security personnel was among the six persons killed in the attack, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain said.
Four security personnel, women and children were among the injured.
Several of the wounded were in a critical condition.
Yesterday, eight persons were killed and about 20 injured when another Shia procession was targeted with a roadside bomb in Dera Ismail Khan.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for both bombings in the city as well as a suicide attack on a Shia procession in Rawalpindi that killed 23 people and injured over 60 on Wednesday.
Authorities called in army soldiers to patrol the streets of Dera Ismail Khan after the attacks.
The bombings caused widespread panic in the city.
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan told the media that his organisation had carried out today`s attack.
He claimed a suicide bomber was in the procession in Dera
Ismail Khan though officials insisted the attack was carried out with a bomb.
Ihsan said the Taliban would succeed in striking their targets despite all security arrangements made by Interior Minister Rehman Malik.
Provincial Information Minister Hussain said the Taliban had apparently planned the attack in Dera Ismail Khan well in advance as authorities had closed all shops and markets and suspended mobile phone services in the city.
The bomb was planted in a closed shop on the route of the Shia procession and triggered by remote control, he said.
The elements targeting Shia prayer halls and processions during the Islamic month of Muharram are enemies of the country, he said.
Muharram is a holy month and those violating its sanctity have nothing to do with religion, he added.
Pakistani authorities have put in place extensive security arrangements to prevent terror attacks on thousands of processions organised across the country during Ashura, the 10th day of Muharram that is observed today.
Mobile phone services have been suspended in nearly 50 towns and cities, including Karachi, Lahore and parts of Islamabad, with Interior Minister Malik saying cellular phones were used to trigger bombs in "90 per cent" of recent attacks.
Tens of thousands of police and paramilitary personnel have been mobilised to guard the Shia processions and the army has been called out or put on stand-by in sensitive areas.
Officials have also appealed to Shia and Sunni scholars and clerics to help maintain calm and not to get provoked by any incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks