Asif Ali Zardari set to resume political career
Islamabad: Former Pakistan president Asif Ali Zardari is set to resume his political career by holding a meeting with senior Pakistan People`s Party (PPP) leaders from Sindh province on Thursday.
Five weeks after he stepped down as president, Zardari has invited office-bearers of the PPP`s chapters from various divisions in Sindh for dinner on Thursday evening, Dawn on Wednesday quoted Zardari`s spokesman Farhatullah Khan Babar as saying.
Babar said only leaders from Sindh have been invited as it would be difficult for the party leaders from other provinces to reach Larkana on the second day of Eid al-Adha.
Zardari will spend more time in Karachi and Lahore post-Eid to carry on his political career, according to the spokesman.
As of now, Zardari does not hold any elected office within the party.
He had to give up his role as PPP co-chairman as his position was challenged in the Lahore High Court after his election as Pakistan president.
Though he had not resigned from the post of co-chairman, he had to keep himself away from the party`s internal polls as he was still the country`s president when these were held.
But the party leadership has said Zardari`s role as head of the party has now been restored as he has stepped down from the presidency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days