Australian soldier killed in Afghanistan
Sydney: A decorated Australian Special Forces soldier has been killed by small arms fire in Afghanistan, becoming the nation`s 40th casualty in the protracted conflict.
Chief of Defence David Hurley said today the soldier died during an insurgent engagement yesterday in which another soldier was shot and seriously wounded and an airman injured.
"Members of the patrol provided immediate first aid to the casualties," General Hurley told reporters in Canberra.
"Sadly, despite their efforts, they could not save one of their mates."
The special forces soldier who died, who has not been named, was on his fifth tour of Afghanistan and had previously served in Iraq and East Timor.
"He was the man to watch, never happier than when the situation demanded decisive action and courage," Hurley said.
The two others wounded in the attack are recovering in Afghanistan, with the soldier who was shot able to contact his family.
"As with each of these incidents, I will also appoint an inquiry officer to fully examine the circumstances surrounding this event," Hurley said.
The death comes as Australia is preparing to wind down operations in Afghanistan where its main base in Tarin Kot, Uruzgan province, is expected to close by the end of the year.
Australia still has some 1,550 troops in Afghanistan but plans to withdraw the bulk this year, earlier than planned due to security gains.
Australia, a close ally of the United States began its Afghan deployment in late 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'