Bangladesh Army `foils bid to topple Hasina govt`
Dhaka: The Bangladesh Army has foiled a plan to bring down the government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina by a group of former and active officers, a military spokesman said on Thursday.
Brig Gen Muhammad Masud Razzaq told reporters at a news briefing Thursday that the military has specific evidence that a group of up to 16 hardline Islamic military officers — including at least two retired officers — were planning to remove the democratically-elected government in a coup.
He calls their plans a "heinous conspiracy”.
He says two retired officers have been arrested and would be presented before a military court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?