Bangladesh Army `foils bid to topple Hasina govt`
Dhaka: The Bangladesh Army has foiled a plan to bring down the government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina by a group of former and active officers, a military spokesman said on Thursday.
Brig Gen Muhammad Masud Razzaq told reporters at a news briefing Thursday that the military has specific evidence that a group of up to 16 hardline Islamic military officers — including at least two retired officers — were planning to remove the democratically-elected government in a coup.
He calls their plans a "heinous conspiracy”.
He says two retired officers have been arrested and would be presented before a military court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II