Bangladesh asked to demolish northeast militants` camps
Agartala: The Border Security Force (BSF) has asked Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) to demolish 55 camps that militants from India`s northeastern region have set up in the neighbouring country, an official said here Wednesday.
"BSF officials have asked BGB to destroy all camps of northeast militants in Bangladesh. We have given a list of 55 camps set up by various militant outfits of northeastern region," a BSF spokesman told reporters.
He said the issue was discussed last week at a four-day border coordination meeting between BSF inspector general and BGB deputy director general in Sylhet in Bangladesh.
The inspectors general of Meghalaya, Assam, Tripura, Mizoram and Cachar frontiers, BSF officials from New Delhi and officials of the National Crime Records Bureau and the union home ministry also attended the meeting.
"BSF demanded strong action against Indian militants hiding in Bangladesh. The BGB officials were also requested to share information it gathered from people arrested for involvement in cross-border crimes and militancy," the official said.
BSF also demanded early resolution of disputes on erection of fencing on the India-Bangladesh border.
Smuggling of fake Indian currency notes, drugs such as phensedyl and narcotics were also discussed.
The BSF officials expressed concern over increasing incidents of attacks on BSF and unarmed Indians by the Bangladeshis on the border.
Tripura, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Assam share a 1,880-km border with Bangladesh, some of it unfenced and running through dense forests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security