Bangladesh set to elect first woman Parliament speaker
Dhaka: Bangladesh is set to elect its first woman parliament speaker as the ruling Awami League nominated Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury for the top post.
A lawyer by profession, the state minister for Women and Children Affairs came in limelight when she stood for Awami League president and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina as a defence lawyer while she was undergoing trial on several charges during the past military-backed interm government.
The Awami League Parliamentary Party last night announced her nomination, days after speaker Abdul Hamid took oath as the President relinquishing the chair in parliament.
The nomination of Chowdhury, who is in her mid 40s, meant her election is all but guaranteed even if the polls are contested by the opposition in the house where Awami League has three-fourth majority.
Her nomination surprised political experts as Deputy Speaker Shawkat Ali, an Independence Movement veteran having a background in army, was currently discharging duties as the Acting Speaker.
Chowdhury, the International Affairs Secretary of the Awami League, was elected MP from one of the parliamentary seats reserved for women in March 2009.
Her father Rafiqullah Chowdhury was a personal secretary and a close associate of Bangladesh`s founder and former prime minister Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
On a Commonwealth Scholarship, she did her PhD on human rights and constitutional laws `Right to Life` from Essex University in the United Kingdom in 2000.
Chowdhury is blessed with a son and a daughter with Syed Ishtiaque Hossain, a pharmaceutical consultant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened