Bangladesh witnesses replay of Delhi gang-rape
Dhaka: In a chilling reminder of the horrific Delhi gang-rape, an 18-year-old girl was raped in a moving bus in the outskirts of the Bangladeshi capital.
The alleged culprits were immediately arrested and they confessed to their guilt before a judge at suburban Manikganj district, the scene of yesterday`s rape, a top police official said.
An angry mob thrashed the culprits before they were arrested.
A court sent them to jail after they confessed that they duped the garment worker girl into travelling in the empty bus, raped her and then threw her off the vehicle, that left her injured.
"The bus driver and helper gave their confessional statements before the court under section-164 to face the rape charges," assistant police superintendent of Manikganj, Kamrul Islam told PTI over phone.
Hundreds of protestors took to the street following the incident, despite a government holiday, demanding stern action against the accused, both in their mid 20s.
"We did not seek them to be remanded in police custody since they had already confessed to what they did," the police officer said.
Police said the hospital authorities later released the victim, whose identity is concealed under law, under the care of her relatives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal