Bangladesh witnesses replay of Delhi gang-rape
Dhaka: In a chilling reminder of the horrific Delhi gang-rape, an 18-year-old girl was raped in a moving bus in the outskirts of the Bangladeshi capital.
The alleged culprits were immediately arrested and they confessed to their guilt before a judge at suburban Manikganj district, the scene of yesterday`s rape, a top police official said.
An angry mob thrashed the culprits before they were arrested.
A court sent them to jail after they confessed that they duped the garment worker girl into travelling in the empty bus, raped her and then threw her off the vehicle, that left her injured.
"The bus driver and helper gave their confessional statements before the court under section-164 to face the rape charges," assistant police superintendent of Manikganj, Kamrul Islam told PTI over phone.
Hundreds of protestors took to the street following the incident, despite a government holiday, demanding stern action against the accused, both in their mid 20s.
"We did not seek them to be remanded in police custody since they had already confessed to what they did," the police officer said.
Police said the hospital authorities later released the victim, whose identity is concealed under law, under the care of her relatives.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India