Bangladeshi Muslims fume over burnt Quran pic on Facebook
Dhaka: Fuming over a picture of burnt Quran posted on Facebook, Bangladeshi Muslims, numbering thousands, torched at least 10 Buddhist temples and 40 homes on Sunday.
Bangladeshi security officials rushed to control the situation which was restored to normal by Sunday afternoon.
Nojibul Islam, a police chief in the coastal district of Cox`s Bazar said that at least 20 people were injured in the attacks that started late Saturday after a photo of a burned copy of the Muslim holy book Quran was posted on Facebook.
The rioters suspected a Buddhist boy to have posted the offensive picture of Quran on Facebook and hence they targeted Buddhist temples to vent their anger.
Faruk Ahmed, a senior police officer, told Xinhua from Cox`s Bazar district, "The Facebook account holder, Uttom Kumar Barua, in the village in Cox`s Bazar`s Ramu subdistrict has taken a photo of trampling on the holy Quran and uploaded it from his Facebook account”.
Ahmed said after the news about the defaming picture spread, hundreds of Muslims, who were already angry over a US-made anti- Islam film, took to the streets and launched attacks on the houses and the temples before the law enforcers reached the scene to bring situation under control in the wee hours of Sunday.
According to the police official, Barua had gone into hiding but the authorities had detained the boy`s parents and were investigating.
Bangladesh deployed extra security officers and banned public gatherings in the troubled areas near the southern border with Myanmar.
Bangladesh`s popular English-language Daily Star newspaper quoted the boy as saying that the photo was mistakenly tagged on his Facebook profile. The newspaper reported that soon after the violence started, the boy`s Facebook account was closed and police escorted him and his mother to safety.
Buddhists make up less than 1 percent of Muslim-majority Bangladesh`s 150 million people.
The violence in Bangladesh comes after weeks of protest over an anti-Islam movie made in the US named – Innocence of Muslims – that depicted Prophet Muhammad as a womanizer, fraud and child molester.
Whole world witnessed violent anti-US protests and attacks on Western embassies leading to death of four American staffers and also demonstrators.
With Agency Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!