Blast near Karachi University, 1 dead
Karachi: A bomb went off outside the campus of a university in the Pakistani port city of Karachi Saturday, killing at least one person and injuring several others.
The blast occurred near a gate of Karachi University at
about 11 am. Witnesses told TV news channels that a man riding
a motorcycle was seriously injured in the blast.
They said they had collected the man`s body parts and he
was taken to hospital in a private vehicle.
The injured man subsequently died in hospital, officials
were quoted as saying by news channels.
Several others were injured by the blast. Police
officials told the media that a preliminary investigation had
indicated that the bomb was planted by the roadside.
The blast, which was heard from several kilometres away,
damaged several buildings and vehicles. Security forces
cordoned off the area after the blast and shops were shut
Col Shafiq Niazi, a spokesman for the paramilitary
Pakistan Rangers, said a security forces vehicle had been in
the area at the time of the blast but it was not clear whether
it was the target of the attack. He said the force would
increase security across Karachi to prevent more such attacks.
Footage on television showed the mangled remains of a
motorcycle lying at the site of the blast.
Pakistan Rangers personnel took up positions on top of
buildings as members of the bomb disposal squad scoured the
Three Pakistan Rangers personnel were killed and four
more injured when their vehicle was targeted with a roadside
bomb in Karachi yesterday. That attack had occurred about a
kilometre from the site of today’s blast.
Security officials said similar improvised explosive
devices had been used in yesterday`s attack and two other
blasts in Karachi on December 4 and 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh