Blast near Karachi University, 1 dead
Karachi: A bomb went off outside the campus of a university in the Pakistani port city of Karachi Saturday, killing at least one person and injuring several others.
The blast occurred near a gate of Karachi University at
about 11 am. Witnesses told TV news channels that a man riding
a motorcycle was seriously injured in the blast.
They said they had collected the man`s body parts and he
was taken to hospital in a private vehicle.
The injured man subsequently died in hospital, officials
were quoted as saying by news channels.
Several others were injured by the blast. Police
officials told the media that a preliminary investigation had
indicated that the bomb was planted by the roadside.
The blast, which was heard from several kilometres away,
damaged several buildings and vehicles. Security forces
cordoned off the area after the blast and shops were shut
Col Shafiq Niazi, a spokesman for the paramilitary
Pakistan Rangers, said a security forces vehicle had been in
the area at the time of the blast but it was not clear whether
it was the target of the attack. He said the force would
increase security across Karachi to prevent more such attacks.
Footage on television showed the mangled remains of a
motorcycle lying at the site of the blast.
Pakistan Rangers personnel took up positions on top of
buildings as members of the bomb disposal squad scoured the
Three Pakistan Rangers personnel were killed and four
more injured when their vehicle was targeted with a roadside
bomb in Karachi yesterday. That attack had occurred about a
kilometre from the site of today’s blast.
Security officials said similar improvised explosive
devices had been used in yesterday`s attack and two other
blasts in Karachi on December 4 and 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore