Blasts in Pak mosques kill 15
Islamabad: Two blasts ripped through as many mosques in the restive Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province of northwest Pakistan on Friday, killing 15 people and injuring 50 others, security officials said.
The blasts occurred during Friday prayers in the mosques at Bazdara area of Malakand district, an erstwhile stronghold of the Pakistani Taliban.
Fifteen people were killed instantly, officials of the Levies militia told the media. The mosques were damaged by the blasts.
Local residents took the injured to hospitals in nearby towns. Officials said many of the injured were in a critical condition.
Deputy Commissioner Amjad Ali said the death toll could rise.
Security forces cordoned off the area and launched a search operation.
No group claimed responsibility for the attacks.
The nature of the blasts could not immediately be ascertained.
The blasts were the first major terrorist attacks in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa after the May 11 General Election.
Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf, which has called for talks with the Taliban and other militant groups, is set to form government in the province with the support of two other parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’