Bomb kills four Pakistani soldiers near Afghan border
Miranshah: A roadside bomb targeting a military convoy on Sunday killed four Pakistan army soldiers and wounded four more in a northwestern tribal area near the Afghan border, officials said.
The blast was triggered by remote control in Mirali town in North Waziristan tribal district, a notorious hub of Taliban and Al-Qaeda linked militants.
"The roadside bomb planted near Khawaja Khar check post went off when a convoy left Mirali on its way to the northwestern city of Bannu," a local security official said, adding that four soldiers died and four more were rushed to hospital.
An army official in the northwestern city of Peshawar confirmed the attack on the convoy of more than a dozen vehicles and the casualty toll.
"The bomb was planted under a culvert near the check post, it destroyed one military vehicle and killed four soldiers," he said, adding that another four were wounded in the blast.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the blast.
Pakistan suffers from near daily bomb and shooting attacks, which officials blame on Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked militants.
According to Islamabad, more than 35,000 people have been killed as a result of terrorism since Al-Qaeda`s September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!