Breakthrough likely only after Indian polls: Sartaj Aziz
Islamabad: Any breakthrough on outstanding issues between India and Pakistan, including Kashmir and Siachen, can be expected only after the Indian elections, Prime Minister`s Advisor on National Security and Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz said on Saturday.
Back channel talks are being held on issues like Kashmir Sir Creek and Siachen as it is Pakistan`s "utmost endeavour" to improve relations with India, Aziz told state-run Radio Pakistan.
The composite dialogue is facing delays due to upcoming polls in India but groups handling trade energy and the visa regime are conducting negotiations, he said.
"Back channel talks are continuing with India on the issues of Kashmir Sir Creek and Siachen," he said.
Pakistan has appointed former Foreign Secretary Shehryar Khan as its point man for back channel talks and his Indian counterpart is former envoy S K Lambah.
Now when India is heading for elections peace on the Line of Control (LoC) and continuation of talks is necessary to avoid any tensions in bilateral relations, he added.
Aziz described the Kashmir dispute as a very important issue whose resolution is imperative for improving Pakistan-India relations.
Several countries had realised the importance of peace between the two sides and "are now evincing interest in the Kashmir dispute", he claimed.
Aziz further said Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had invited his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh to visit Pakistan. "Though there is less possibility of his visit, but if he wishes to visit Islamabad in the next few weeks we will definitely welcome him," he said.
Singh yesterday expressed hope of visiting Pakistan in the next four months and said circumstances were "not appropriate" for a visit so far.
Pakistan is keen to resume the composite dialogue with India, which was called off after an Indian soldier was decapitated in January last year along the LoC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'