Everyone wants democracy in Pakistan: Gilani
Islamabad: All stakeholders in the country favour democracy in Pakistan and "no one has a desire to violate the constitution", Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said in Davos where is attending the World Economic Forum.
Gilani Thursday rejected any perception of a clash between the state institutions and said all stakeholders in the country favoured democracy.
He said that since several things were happening at the same time, it was being felt that there was some kind of clash, reported Associated Press of Pakistan.
Referring to his meeting with army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and ISI chief Lt. General Ahmed Shuja Pasha prior to his departure for Davos, Gilani said it focused on security matters related to Afghanistan and was also attended by Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar.
Gilani said civil society, the intelligentsia, the media, the parliamentarians, want democracy in the country.
"Nobody is in favour of something other than democracy. Democracy is strong and will stay intact and no one has a desire to violate the Constitution," he said.
The past few months have been quite tense in Pakistan following a clash between the powerful army and the political leadership. A secret memo said President Asif Ali Zardari had feared a military takeover following the killing of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden May 2 last year.
Gilani had taken on the army by charging the army chief and the spy chief`s court affidavit in memogate was unconstitutional, heightening tension. He, however, took a dramatic about turn Wednesday when he retracted that statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves