Everyone wants democracy in Pakistan: Gilani
Islamabad: All stakeholders in the country favour democracy in Pakistan and "no one has a desire to violate the constitution", Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said in Davos where is attending the World Economic Forum.
Gilani Thursday rejected any perception of a clash between the state institutions and said all stakeholders in the country favoured democracy.
He said that since several things were happening at the same time, it was being felt that there was some kind of clash, reported Associated Press of Pakistan.
Referring to his meeting with army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and ISI chief Lt. General Ahmed Shuja Pasha prior to his departure for Davos, Gilani said it focused on security matters related to Afghanistan and was also attended by Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar.
Gilani said civil society, the intelligentsia, the media, the parliamentarians, want democracy in the country.
"Nobody is in favour of something other than democracy. Democracy is strong and will stay intact and no one has a desire to violate the Constitution," he said.
The past few months have been quite tense in Pakistan following a clash between the powerful army and the political leadership. A secret memo said President Asif Ali Zardari had feared a military takeover following the killing of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden May 2 last year.
Gilani had taken on the army by charging the army chief and the spy chief`s court affidavit in memogate was unconstitutional, heightening tension. He, however, took a dramatic about turn Wednesday when he retracted that statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP