Expedite probe into Afghan war crimes: Human Rights Watch
Brussels: The prosecutor`s office of the International Criminal Court (ICC) should expedite its preliminary inquiry on grave international crimes committed in Afghanistan, Human Rights Watch said Sunday.
In its November Report on Preliminary Examination Activities, the ICC prosecutor`s office found that "(w)ar crimes and crimes against humanity were and continue to be committed in Afghanistan".
ICC said it would examine whether the government was taking sufficient action to investigate and prosecute these crimes.
"The ICC prosecutor`s finding that war crimes and crimes against humanity are still being committed in Afghanistan should kick-start a full inquiry to spur justice in the country," said Richard Dicker at Human Rights Watch.
"This would signal to human rights abusers in Afghanistan that they can`t evade justice forever."
Afghanistan has been a "situation under analysis" since 2007, in which the prosecutor considers whether to open formal investigations into alleged crimes in violation of international law.
The prosecutor`s office should expedite a fact-finding mission to Afghanistan to collect testimony and improve its information exchange with Afghan organisations, government bodies and relevant international entities, Human Rights Watch said.
The ICC prosecutor`s inquiry has continued for six years, longer than any other publicly pending ICC inquiry in such an early phase of examination, Human Rights Watch said.
Afghanistan joined the ICC in 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill