`Female lawmakers not considered equal to male counterparts in Pakistan`
Islamabad: A female lawmaker of the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Assembly has complained about facing discrimination at the hands of male counterparts.
While speaking on the floor of the house on International Women`s Day, PakistanPeoples Party (PPP) lawmaker Dr Faiza Rashid rebuked male parliamentarians.
According to Express Tribune, she said they were not ready to consider female members as equals because they were elected on reserved seats.
She asked for the discrimination to be put to an end, maintaining there is no law which said that being elected on reserved seats makes one inferior.
K-P Minister for Information Mian Iftikhar Hussain said being elected on a reserved seat was a privilege and more prestigious than being directly elected, as it takes three to four lawmakers to select one woman on a reserved seat.
However, he also pointed out problems which hinder women`s participation in the electoral process, saying currently it was difficult even for males to contest elections.
Hussain said planned segregation in the society has also adversely affected the status of women.
In his concluding remarks, Hussain said the protection of women`s rights was not only the duty of women, but also society`s collective responsibility, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head