Finland to close embassy in Pakistan
Helsinki: Finland plans to close down its embassy in Pakistan during 2012 due to budgetary constraints, the Finnish Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
The decision to shut the mission in Islamabad was part of a bigger scheme to trim the Nordic country`s network of embassies, with closures also announced in Caracas and Manila.
Foreign Ministry Undersecretary of State Peter Stenlund told the agency the Pakistan closure was also partly due to security concerns in the capital, pointing out that in order to stay in Islamabad the Foreign Ministry would have had to invest in a new chancery.
"One aspect is the security situation... It is not an acute situation but because we have to cut costs in our global embassy network we decided not to invest in a new building," he said.
Pakistan`s Foreign Ministry said it had been informed of the decision.
"They (Finland embassy) have conveyed to us officially that they are doing so because of budgetary constraints and cost-cutting," Foreign Ministry spokesman Abdul Basit said.
He said Finland would consider re-opening the embassy as soon as possible, adding that the mission was expected to close sometime this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof