FIR registered against Facebook in Pak
Islamabad: A day after authorities in Pakistan briefly banned the microblogging website Twitter due to ``blasphemous`` material, Islamabad Police, on the orders of a city court, have registered a case against social networking giant Facebook.
The Namoos-e-Risalat Lawyers Forum (NRLF) had submitted the petition against Facebook.
"We gave three applications: one against Payam TV for telecasting a movie ``Yousaf``, one against Facebook and three other websites and one against the US embassy in Islamabad for organising a gathering of gays and lesbians," The Express Tribune quoted a petitioner, Advocate Rao Abdur Rahim, as saying.
Rao said they had been informed in July 2011 that Facebook and a few other websites had been posting ``blasphemous`` content on their websites and the material was being uploaded from Pakistan.
"Concerned government officials, Pakistan Telecom Authority (PTA) and police were requested to take action but they did not pay attention, therefore, Islamabad District Bar on July 27, 2011 filed a complaint for the registration of an FIR but no action was taken," said Rao.
The NRLF then filed an application in the court of Additional Sessions Judge Kamran Basharat Mufti seeking directions to the police to register an FIR.
Accepting two applications, Judge Kamran Mufti directed Margalla police to register an FIR against Payam TV and Facebook, however the court turned down the application against the US embassy.
"We will approach the high court for registration of an FIR against the US embassy," said Rao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands