Gilani, Taseer hope Taliban talks help in tracing sons
Lahore: Former premier Yousuf Raza Gilani and the widow of slain Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer have welcomed the PML-N government`s initiative to hold peace talks with the banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan hoping it may help in the recovery of their abducted sons.
Gilani`s son, Ali Haider, was kidnapped by armed men in Multan district of Punjab province just two days before the May 11 general elections last year.
Similarly, Shahbaz Taseer, son of Salmaan and Amna Taseer, was kidnapped by unidentified men in August 2011 in Lahore`s Gulberg area.
Successive governments of both the PPP and the PML-N have failed to recover both men who are believed to be held by their kidnappers in the areas bordering Afghanistan.
"I hope the safe recovery of my son will also be discussed in the talks between the government and the TTP," Gilani told a news agency.
"I wish the government`s peace talks with the Taliban succeed. In my meeting with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, I had asked him not to forget my son in the government`s talks with the Taliban," he said.
Amna Taseer said, "I wish the dialogue with the Taliban paves the way for the release of Shahbaz Taseer and other innocent kidnapped people."
She further said, "We pray that Shahbaz and other innocents kidnapped currently in captivity are also freed safely and soon, and returned to their beloved families. It will be a positive step towards building goodwill and moving towards peace."
The kidnappers of both men reportedly had demanded huge sums as ransom and exchange of some prisoners in return for their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow