Gilani, Taseer hope Taliban talks help in tracing sons
Lahore: Former premier Yousuf Raza Gilani and the widow of slain Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer have welcomed the PML-N government`s initiative to hold peace talks with the banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan hoping it may help in the recovery of their abducted sons.
Gilani`s son, Ali Haider, was kidnapped by armed men in Multan district of Punjab province just two days before the May 11 general elections last year.
Similarly, Shahbaz Taseer, son of Salmaan and Amna Taseer, was kidnapped by unidentified men in August 2011 in Lahore`s Gulberg area.
Successive governments of both the PPP and the PML-N have failed to recover both men who are believed to be held by their kidnappers in the areas bordering Afghanistan.
"I hope the safe recovery of my son will also be discussed in the talks between the government and the TTP," Gilani told a news agency.
"I wish the government`s peace talks with the Taliban succeed. In my meeting with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, I had asked him not to forget my son in the government`s talks with the Taliban," he said.
Amna Taseer said, "I wish the dialogue with the Taliban paves the way for the release of Shahbaz Taseer and other innocent kidnapped people."
She further said, "We pray that Shahbaz and other innocents kidnapped currently in captivity are also freed safely and soon, and returned to their beloved families. It will be a positive step towards building goodwill and moving towards peace."
The kidnappers of both men reportedly had demanded huge sums as ransom and exchange of some prisoners in return for their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi