Grossman meets Khar, Kayani; discusses Afghan, counter-terror
Islamabad: Issues related to peace and stability in Afghanistan and progress made on counter-terrorism figured prominently in talks visiting US diplomat Marc Grossman had with Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar and powerful Army chief Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.
Grossman, US Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan who arrived here yesterday on a two-day visit, exchanged with Khar views on recent developments in Afghanistan.
The two leaders "expressed the commitment to continue to work together in support of Afghan-owned and Afghan-led peace and reconciliation process and for progress and stability in the country," said a statement from the Foreign Office last evening.
Grossman also met Army Chief Kayani and discussed the military aspect of the Afghan issue.
A brief statement issued by the Inter Services Public Relations said: "Issues related to peace and stability in Afghanistan were discussed."
During Grossman`s meeting with Khar, they also exchanged views on a wide range of issues of mutual interest, particularly Pakistan-US relations and the regional situation.
Khar underlined the importance of a broad-based relationship between Pakistan and the US "marked by deeper and wider cooperation in diverse fields".
Grossman said the US is committed to a "long-term relationship with Pakistan based on mutual interest and mutual respect".
Grossman`s visit to Islamabad is expected to be the final high-level exchange between the two sides before US election.
The two leaders expressed satisfaction at progress made by the Working Group on Law Enforcement and Counter-Terrorism during a recent meeting in Washington, and hoped the Working Groups on Economy and Finance and Energy and Water will meet soon.
The bilateral Defence Consultative Group is scheduled to meet in the first week of December, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter