Gunmen kill Baloch activist working for German NGO
Islamabad: A Baloch activist working for a
German NGO has been shot and killed by unidentified gunmen in
the southern Pakistani port city of Karachi.
Faisal Mengal, 35, an employee of Germany`s Hanns Seidel
Foundation, was gunned down last night.
He was working on a project focussed on the restive
Mengal was a programme coordinator at HSF, which promotes
democracy, peace and development and is funded by the German
Police said he was with his driver when two young men
intercepted their car and opened fire.
"When the car was stopped, Mengal jumped out of the car
and started running," a police officer told The Express
The gunmen stopped shooting only when Mengal fell to the
ground, he said.
The gunmen appeared to be were target killers as they did
not attempt to harm the driver, the officer said.
Mengal was shot at least 11 times.
Police officer Fawad Ahmed said the investigation was in
its initial stages and police were looking into all possible
motives, including personal enmity, business disputes and the
involvement of any militant organisation or Baloch nationalist
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials
- 30% to vote for SP, BJP+ 27%, BSP 26% in next UP Assembly elections: Survey
- Article 370 will be dealt later, peace in Valley a priority: Ahir
- Banwarilal Purohit sworn in as Assam Governor