Hafiz Saeed leads Eid al-Fitr prayers in Lahore amid Indo-Pak tensions
Zee Media Bureau
Lahore: Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, the founder of Lashkar-e-Toiba terror group that staged the 2008 Mumbai attacks, led Eid al-Fitr prayers at Gaddafi stadium here on Friday.
On microblogging website Twitter, Saeed tweeted Eid greetings with a strong anti-India message.
In his tweet, Saeed said, "Time is near when those oppressed in Kashmir, Palestine and Burma will celebrate `Eid` in the air of Freedom - Insha`Allah. #EidMubarak."
"So, we say Eid Mubarak to you in these testing times; soon world will say Eid Mubarak to you after your triumph. May ALLAH accept."
"ALLAH will not waste your Sacrifices, Ummah will be glorified, Islam will be strengthened, that time is very near #kashmir," he tweeted from his account `@HafizSaeedJUD`.
Saeed, who is roaming freely in Pakistan despite Indian requests to Islamabad to capture him, has a USD 10 million US bounty on his head.
The event, which was advertised on posters all over Lahore, is likely to further strain the ties between the two nuclear-armed neighbours. The latest round of tensions flared between India and Pakistan is due to the killing of five Indian soldiers along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir by Pakistani troops.
Saeed has over the past year addressed large anti-India rallies and appeared on prime-time television, and now even gives interviews to Western news media outlets he previously eschewed.
At his Lahore compound - a fortified house, office and mosque - Saeed is shielded not only by his supporters wielding Kalashnikovs outside his door, but also by the Pakistani state, the New York Times had reported earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city