Hasina proposes Yunus to be World Bank President
Dhaka: In a surprise move, Bangladesh Prime
Minister Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday proposed that Nobel laureate
Muhammad Yunus be made the World Bank President, months after
he was eased out as the head of the pioneering micro-lending
`Grameen Bank` following a protracted row with her government.
"The Prime Minister has requested the European Union to
use its good office for Dr Yunus for the presidency of the
World Bank," a senior aide of Hasina said preferring
The aide declined to elaborate further but the private
UNB news agency, quoting a source familiar with her meeting
with a visiting EU delegation said that Hasina, deviating from
her harsh criticism of Yunus, appreciated his role in fighting
According to the source, Hasina noted that 70-year-old
Yunus was respected all over the world for his outstanding
contribution to alleviating poverty through micro-credit
She made the request when visiting member of EU
Parliament Jean Lambert called on her at her office.
Yunus, whose experiment of poor men`s banking earned him
the Nobel peace prize and Bangladesh the repute of being the
home of micro credit, was forced to quit Grameen Bank, which
he founded nearly three decades ago, in May last
The Nobel laureate resigned after he lost his final legal
battle in the apex court to thwart a Bangladesh Bank decision
removing him from the position two and half months ago against
the backdrop of his widely visible dispute with Hasina.
Hasina`s request to Lambert came despite the Obama
administration`s assertion that it would have an American at
the helm of affairs at the World Bank, whose President Robert
Zoellick`s term is expiring on June 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in