Hasina proposes Yunus to be World Bank President
Dhaka: In a surprise move, Bangladesh Prime
Minister Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday proposed that Nobel laureate
Muhammad Yunus be made the World Bank President, months after
he was eased out as the head of the pioneering micro-lending
`Grameen Bank` following a protracted row with her government.
"The Prime Minister has requested the European Union to
use its good office for Dr Yunus for the presidency of the
World Bank," a senior aide of Hasina said preferring
The aide declined to elaborate further but the private
UNB news agency, quoting a source familiar with her meeting
with a visiting EU delegation said that Hasina, deviating from
her harsh criticism of Yunus, appreciated his role in fighting
According to the source, Hasina noted that 70-year-old
Yunus was respected all over the world for his outstanding
contribution to alleviating poverty through micro-credit
She made the request when visiting member of EU
Parliament Jean Lambert called on her at her office.
Yunus, whose experiment of poor men`s banking earned him
the Nobel peace prize and Bangladesh the repute of being the
home of micro credit, was forced to quit Grameen Bank, which
he founded nearly three decades ago, in May last
The Nobel laureate resigned after he lost his final legal
battle in the apex court to thwart a Bangladesh Bank decision
removing him from the position two and half months ago against
the backdrop of his widely visible dispute with Hasina.
Hasina`s request to Lambert came despite the Obama
administration`s assertion that it would have an American at
the helm of affairs at the World Bank, whose President Robert
Zoellick`s term is expiring on June 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!