Hindu doctor shot dead in Pakistan
Islamabad: A well-known Hindu doctor was on Thursday gunned down by motorcycle-borne attackers in the restive Balochistan province of southwest Pakistan, police said.
Doctor Lakshmi Chand was on his way home when two armed men riding a motorcycle fired at him at Hindu Mohalla in Mastung town.
He was hit by several bullets and died instantly, police officials said. The attackers fled from the spot after the shooting.
Reports said Chand had been the target of a failed kidnapping attempt some months ago and had planned to move out of Balochistan.
His body was handed over to his family after an autopsy.
Members of the minority Hindu community in Balochistan have been targeted by criminal gangs and extremists in recent months.
Several Hindus, mostly petty traders, have been kidnapped for ransom.
In a separate incident, a senior government official was also shot dead today in the province.
Unidentified gunmen shot dead Yasir Arafat, an official of the Civil Aviation Authority, in Panjgur district.
Arafat was in a scrap market when gunmen riding motorcycles fired at him and fled district police chief Jamil Ahmed said.
Arafat was hit by three bullets and died instantly, Ahmed said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried