Hindus attacked in Bangladesh, police detain Jamaat activists
Dhaka: Bangladesh police Tuesday detained two Jamaat-e-Islami activists for their suspected involvement in attacking Hindus and filed cases in this connection in Jessore and Dinajpur districts.
Emdad Hossain, officer-in-charge of Abhoynagar police station, said at least 250 people were involved in attacking the houses of the minority Hindu community in Maloparha and Chapatola villages in Jessore district Sunday, reported bdnews24.com.
Rioters vandalised and looted more than 50 Hindu houses in Maloparha.
A temporary police camp has been set up in the area, said Reshma Sharmin, assistant superintendent of police.
Police blamed the Jamaat and its students wing Islami Chhatra Shibir for the attacks
Awami League leader Ranjit Roy, who was elected from Jessore-4 constituency, alleged that Jamaat activists had carried out the attacks.
Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) leaders alleged that police were blaming the 18-party opposition alliance in order to harass them.
Police also detained five people for attacking houses and shops of Hindus at Kornai village in Dinajpur district.
Police filed a case against 215 people in connection with the incident, said Altaf Hossain, officer-in-charge of Kotwali police station.
More than 100 houses and shops belonging to Hindu were vandalised and set on fire at Kornai village.
Meanwhile, the BNP-led 18-party opposition Tuesday extended its strike till 6 p.m. Wednesday demanding cancellation of the 10th parliamentary polls results and calling for fresh elections under a non-party caretaker government.
Earlier, the opposition had called for a 48-hour strike starting from Monday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow