Imran Khan used airport detention for political mileage: US
Islamabad: Cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan used his detention and quizzing by American authorities in Toronto for political mileage, US Deputy Chief of Mission in Pakistan, Richard Hoagland, has said.
"A lot of the story that went out was not very accurate but played up for political purposes," Hoagland told journalists in Peshawar on Thursday.
In principle, nobody is ever stopped from entering the US for their political beliefs, he said.
Some reports in the Pakistani media have said that Khan, the chief of Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf party, was quizzed by the American officials as his US visa did not permit him to engage in fund-raising activities, which was apparently one of the main reasons of his visit to the US.
Khan was also questioned about his opposition to US drone strikes, the reports said.
Hoagland said countering terrorism is "most important" in US-Pakistan relations.
"The sooner we contain terrorists, the more peaceful the methods (of counter-terrorism) will become," he said.
The "strategic pause", an interregnum in the difficult relationship between the two countries, was now making way for a "more mature but restrained relationship" based on diplomatic, military and intelligence cooperation, he said.
Hoagland further said that no matter who won the US presidential polls, there would be "no pendulum swing in foreign policy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!