Insurgent attacks kill 10 police in Afghanistan
Kabul: Insurgent attacks in several parts of Afghanistan have killed 10 police officers over 24 hours, officials said on Wednesday.
Warming weather in the summer usually brings an uptick in insurgent activity, but the surge this year is more than expected.
Data from the NATO military coalition in Afghanistan show that attacks increased sharply in May compared with same time of year in 2011, from around 2,500 incidents to around 3,000. Statistics for June were not yet available.
In the south, four officers were killed when they responded to an explosion in Musa Qala district today, said provincial spokesman Daoud Ahmadi.
No one was killed in the first blast, but a second, apparently remote-controlled, bomb hit the policemen when they got to the scene to investigate.
In Herat province in the west, an ambush killed four policemen on patrol in Ghoryan district late yesterday, said provincial government spokesman Noor Khan.
Also, in Kunduz province in the north, two police officers were killed when their truck hit a roadside bomb early today, said Kunduz province police chief General Samihullah Qatrah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video