Kargil derailed India-Pakistan ties: Nawaz Sharif
Lahore: Former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif Tuesday obliquely blasted then army chief Pervez Musharraf for derailing the India-Pakistan peace process by indulging in the "Kargil misadventure".
Without naming Musharraf, Sharif said that his efforts to normalise relations with India were sabotaged.
The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader was addressing a special session of the South Asia Free Media Conference here.
Sharif said when he and then Indian prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee signed the Lahore declaration in 1999, both governments agreed to resolve all their differences peacefully.
But soon these efforts came to naught as they were sabotaged, he said.
The reference was to the intrusion by Pakistani soldiers into Kargil region in Jammu and Kashmir in 1999 that led to a major military showdown. Islamabad was finally forced to pull out.
The Lahore meeting also discussed ways and means to remove bottlenecks in enhancing trade between India and Pakistan.
Some 280 delegates from eight SAARC nations including more than 65 from India are taking part in the two-day conference, which called for free movement of "men and material" in South Asia.
Sharif said India and Pakistan needed to resolve their disputes through dialogue.
The era of confrontation was over and the focus should be on creating a conductive atmosphere to resolve bilateral issues.
He said if his party took power in Islamabad, his priority will be to enhance and increase the level of cooperation with India.
Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif said SAARC should emulate the European Union to work for the development of the region.
He said India and Pakistan fought three wars but they could not settle their disputes. "The best approach is to address these disputes in an amicable manner."
Tuesday`s session was also addressed by veteran journalist Najam Sethi, human rights activist Asma Jehangir and other media personalities.
Veteran Pakistani scholar Hasan Askari Rizvi said Pakistan had surrendered to the Al Qaeda and the Taliban.
He said 60 percent of Pakistan`s territory was no longer under the control of the government while non-state actors had full or partial control in these areas.
He said the fears of a section of the business community on giving the Most Favoured Nation status to India were not justified.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt