`Kashmir issue has to be settled by India, Pakistan`
New York: Pakistan has said the Kashmir issue with India has to be settled by the two countries even as it described the UN resolutions on the matter as an "important framework" for its settlement.
"When we talk about the bilateral dimension of this issue (Kashmir), of course it has to be settled by India and Pakistan and we do realise that the UN resolutions are an important framework for the settlement of this dispute," Pakistan`s Ambassador to the UN Masood Khan said here yesterday.
He was briefing reporters on his country assuming the month-long presidency of the 15-nation UN Security Council.
When asked if the Kashmir issue should be resolved bilaterally or under the auspices of the UN, Khan said, "It cannot be characterised in such stark terms. The (UN) resolutions are there. They are relevant and in the meantime the dialogue between India and Pakistan must continue."
Pakistan has raked up the issue of Kashmir at the UN forum time and again but India has insisted that it is its internal matter.
Last month, Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf had said that his country seeks to resolve the Kashmir issue on the basis of United Nations resolutions and aspiration of the Kashmiri people.
Khan cited the recent increased engagement between India and Pakistan on a host of issues, including trade and said top leadership of the two countries have met as the nations "moved towards engagement”.
"While India and Pakistan engage each other on a whole range of issues, we have always been and we make all sorts of overtures to India and there is greater interaction between civil societies of the two countries.”
"This is our effort, this is the aspiration of the people of Pakistan that longstanding issues particularly the issue of Jammu and Kashmir would be settled in accordance with the wishes of the people of Jammu and Kashmir and a solution which has the concurrence of both India and Pakistan."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'