Key Taliban commander, policeman killed
Kabul: A clash between Taliban militants and police claimed the lives of a key Taliban commander and a policeman in southern Afghanistan Thursday, an official said.
Taliban militants commanded by Mullah Nasir raided a police checkpoint in Orgon district before dawn and police retaliated, Xinhua reported.
"The firefight lasted for half an hour during which Mullah Nasir was killed and four more militants sustained injuries," an official said.
He also confirmed that a policeman was killed, another injured and a police van was damaged in the fight.
The official said the death of Mullah Nasir was a major setback to the Taliban in Paktika province and adjoining areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30