Key Taliban commander, policeman killed
Kabul: A clash between Taliban militants and police claimed the lives of a key Taliban commander and a policeman in southern Afghanistan Thursday, an official said.
Taliban militants commanded by Mullah Nasir raided a police checkpoint in Orgon district before dawn and police retaliated, Xinhua reported.
"The firefight lasted for half an hour during which Mullah Nasir was killed and four more militants sustained injuries," an official said.
He also confirmed that a policeman was killed, another injured and a police van was damaged in the fight.
The official said the death of Mullah Nasir was a major setback to the Taliban in Paktika province and adjoining areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city