Key Taliban commander, policeman killed
Kabul: A clash between Taliban militants and police claimed the lives of a key Taliban commander and a policeman in southern Afghanistan Thursday, an official said.
Taliban militants commanded by Mullah Nasir raided a police checkpoint in Orgon district before dawn and police retaliated, Xinhua reported.
"The firefight lasted for half an hour during which Mullah Nasir was killed and four more militants sustained injuries," an official said.
He also confirmed that a policeman was killed, another injured and a police van was damaged in the fight.
The official said the death of Mullah Nasir was a major setback to the Taliban in Paktika province and adjoining areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport