Key Taliban commander, policeman killed
Kabul: A clash between Taliban militants and police claimed the lives of a key Taliban commander and a policeman in southern Afghanistan Thursday, an official said.
Taliban militants commanded by Mullah Nasir raided a police checkpoint in Orgon district before dawn and police retaliated, Xinhua reported.
"The firefight lasted for half an hour during which Mullah Nasir was killed and four more militants sustained injuries," an official said.
He also confirmed that a policeman was killed, another injured and a police van was damaged in the fight.
The official said the death of Mullah Nasir was a major setback to the Taliban in Paktika province and adjoining areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands