Kids custody: Tamils demonstrate outside Norway mission in SL
Colombo: A group of Sri Lankan Tamils based in Norway have demonstrated outside the Norwegian embassy here, claiming that the child welfare service in that country forcibly removed their children from the parental care.
T Anantharajah, one of those who demonstrated yesterday, told media here that his three children aged 12, 10 and 8 respectively had been forcibly taken away by the Norwegian authorities and placed under the care of foster families.
Anantharajah said that aggrieved parents from at least 60 Sri Lankan Tamil families would soon launch a hunger strike in Oslo against the Norwegian authorities.
However, the Norwegian embassy said the country`s child welfare service step in when measures at home are not sufficient to meet a child`s need.
"Placing a child in care is a serious step and can only be used when serious neglect or abuse had been documented," it said.
The demonstration came months after two Indian children, who were taken away from their parents on grounds of "emotional disconnect", returned to India after being kept in foster care for almost a year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video