Killers of Prof Sibte Jaffar arrested in Karachi
Karachi: Police in Karachi said today they have arrested two militants of the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi who were involved in the killing of a Shia college professor last month.
SSP Fayyaz Khan told reporters that the arrested militants included the LeJ head in Karachi, Sheikh Muhammad Athar alias Khalid and his accomplice Muhammad Shahid alias Chooran.
"They have confessed to the killing of the professor," he said. Syed Sibte Jaffar Zaidi was a well-respected college principal and literary figure and was targeted by assailants in the city while returning home on his motorcycle.
His killing led to widespread mourning in the city. Khan said the two arrested men were linked with a splinter group of the LeJ known as the Naeem Bokhari group which worked in alliance with Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).
"The arrests were made in Surjani Town area and they have also confessed to other killings but we are still confirming the information," he said.
Police also seized a large amount of weapons and explosives from the men. Khan said investigations had revealed that both the militants were also planning to target election campaigns of political parties in the run-up to the general elections in May.
He said there were several splinter groups of militant outfits like the LeJ and TTP operating in Karachi and many senior police and rangers officials were on their hitlist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS