Killers of Prof Sibte Jaffar arrested in Karachi
Karachi: Police in Karachi said today they have arrested two militants of the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi who were involved in the killing of a Shia college professor last month.
SSP Fayyaz Khan told reporters that the arrested militants included the LeJ head in Karachi, Sheikh Muhammad Athar alias Khalid and his accomplice Muhammad Shahid alias Chooran.
"They have confessed to the killing of the professor," he said. Syed Sibte Jaffar Zaidi was a well-respected college principal and literary figure and was targeted by assailants in the city while returning home on his motorcycle.
His killing led to widespread mourning in the city. Khan said the two arrested men were linked with a splinter group of the LeJ known as the Naeem Bokhari group which worked in alliance with Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).
"The arrests were made in Surjani Town area and they have also confessed to other killings but we are still confirming the information," he said.
Police also seized a large amount of weapons and explosives from the men. Khan said investigations had revealed that both the militants were also planning to target election campaigns of political parties in the run-up to the general elections in May.
He said there were several splinter groups of militant outfits like the LeJ and TTP operating in Karachi and many senior police and rangers officials were on their hitlist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800