Killers of Prof Sibte Jaffar arrested in Karachi
Karachi: Police in Karachi said today they have arrested two militants of the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi who were involved in the killing of a Shia college professor last month.
SSP Fayyaz Khan told reporters that the arrested militants included the LeJ head in Karachi, Sheikh Muhammad Athar alias Khalid and his accomplice Muhammad Shahid alias Chooran.
"They have confessed to the killing of the professor," he said. Syed Sibte Jaffar Zaidi was a well-respected college principal and literary figure and was targeted by assailants in the city while returning home on his motorcycle.
His killing led to widespread mourning in the city. Khan said the two arrested men were linked with a splinter group of the LeJ known as the Naeem Bokhari group which worked in alliance with Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).
"The arrests were made in Surjani Town area and they have also confessed to other killings but we are still confirming the information," he said.
Police also seized a large amount of weapons and explosives from the men. Khan said investigations had revealed that both the militants were also planning to target election campaigns of political parties in the run-up to the general elections in May.
He said there were several splinter groups of militant outfits like the LeJ and TTP operating in Karachi and many senior police and rangers officials were on their hitlist.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case