LeT active but security vigil up: Bangladesh
Dhaka: Bangladesh Wednesday said Pakistan-based banned terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba is active in the country but law enforcement agencies have tracked down their network and kept them under "security vigil".
"We have already brought the LeT operatives under security vigil... With the cooperation of people," Home Minister Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir told newsmen after attending a function of police Detective School at Rajarbagh Police Lines.
He added, "It is the moral and legal obligation of the government to uproot them totally".
The minister`s comment came as Bangladesh witnessed massive street violence during the past one month over the 1971 war crimes trial which convicted fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami stalwarts for carrying out atrocities and siding with Pakistani troops.
Law enforcement agencies had earlier said LeT and several other extreme right-wing militant groups were still active in Bangladesh while they used Bangladesh territory mainly for transit to neighbouring India for years together until 2006 but began to gradually lose their strength amid stringent security clampdown.
Earlier media reports said the militant organisations operated almost undisturbed from 1991 to 1998 and then between 2001 and 2006, the periods when ex-prime minister Khaleda Zia`s Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) was in power with fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami being its crucial ally.
Security officials said some militant groups were generating funds for their operations by selling counterfeit Indian currencies in India while the counterfeit Indian rupees and US dollars were mainly being forged in Pakistan and carried to Bangladesh via Dubai.
LeT issue appeared prominently in media in April 2010 when elite anti-crime Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) said they arrested top LeT organiser as he was operating in Bangladesh in the guise of a businessman while another two Pakistani extremists were arrested last week during street violence triggered by fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami.
Police chief Hassan Mahmud Khondkar recently told PTI that "Bangladesh, however, is no more a comfortable place for local or foreign militants any way."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'