LeT active but security vigil up: Bangladesh
Dhaka: Bangladesh Wednesday said Pakistan-based banned terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba is active in the country but law enforcement agencies have tracked down their network and kept them under "security vigil".
"We have already brought the LeT operatives under security vigil... With the cooperation of people," Home Minister Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir told newsmen after attending a function of police Detective School at Rajarbagh Police Lines.
He added, "It is the moral and legal obligation of the government to uproot them totally".
The minister`s comment came as Bangladesh witnessed massive street violence during the past one month over the 1971 war crimes trial which convicted fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami stalwarts for carrying out atrocities and siding with Pakistani troops.
Law enforcement agencies had earlier said LeT and several other extreme right-wing militant groups were still active in Bangladesh while they used Bangladesh territory mainly for transit to neighbouring India for years together until 2006 but began to gradually lose their strength amid stringent security clampdown.
Earlier media reports said the militant organisations operated almost undisturbed from 1991 to 1998 and then between 2001 and 2006, the periods when ex-prime minister Khaleda Zia`s Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) was in power with fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami being its crucial ally.
Security officials said some militant groups were generating funds for their operations by selling counterfeit Indian currencies in India while the counterfeit Indian rupees and US dollars were mainly being forged in Pakistan and carried to Bangladesh via Dubai.
LeT issue appeared prominently in media in April 2010 when elite anti-crime Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) said they arrested top LeT organiser as he was operating in Bangladesh in the guise of a businessman while another two Pakistani extremists were arrested last week during street violence triggered by fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami.
Police chief Hassan Mahmud Khondkar recently told PTI that "Bangladesh, however, is no more a comfortable place for local or foreign militants any way."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm