Liberalised visa for Indo-Pak journalists sought
Mumbai: Mediapersons from Mumbai and Karachi press clubs have called for liberalised visa regime for journalists from both countries to ensure free exchange of information.
The demand came at a seminar on `The role of media in promoting peace in the sub-continent`, where the 14-member media delegation from Karachi and Hyderabad (Sindh) participated.
The Pakistani media team arrived yesterday for a week-long visit. A 22 member delegation from Mumbai Press club had visited Karachi and Hyderabad in November last year.
Tahir Hasan Khan, senior reporter of `The News` and president of the Karachi Press Club said governments of both countries should give multiple entry visas to journalists for atleast one year so that they can travel frequently.
Stressing the need for removal of media restrictions, Jatin Desai of Mumbai Press Club said currently only two journalists of other country are allowed to operate in the host country.
"Journalists of `The Hindu` and PTI have to function from Islamabad and have to take permissions to travel even to Rawalpindi. Similarly, reporters from Pakistan stationed in Delhi cannot travel easily to places like Noida and Gurgaon," he said.
Tahir Hasan Khan said if the two countries are considering providing multiple entry visas for businessmen of the two countries, the same should be done for journalists since it would create conducive atmosphere for enduring peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video