Lt Gen Gaurav Shumsher Rana sworn-in as Nepal Army Chief
Kathmandu: Lt Gen Gaurav Shumsher Rana was today sworn-in as Nepal`s Army Chief by President Ram Baran Yadav at a function here.
President Yadav administered the oath of office and secrecy to Rana and conferred him with insignia of Chief of Army Staff (CoAS) at a function at the Rastrapati Bhawan, at Shital Niwas, attended by Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai, Vice President Paramananda Jha, among other dignitaries.
India-educated Rana, has served in the Nepal Army for 39 years before his appointment to the top post through a cabinet decision.
The president is the supreme commander of Nepal Army.
Rana, 58, assumed the post of CoAS office after the term of his predecessor Chattraman Singh came to an end as he retired yesterday.
Rana has done his graduation from The Lawrance School, Sanawar, Himanchal Pradesh. He spent about 11 years in Himanchal Pradesh for his schooling, before joining the Nepal Army.
Rana has completed National Defence Course from the National Defence University of Pakistan and also received Masters` Degree in Defence and Strategic Studies from Pakistan`s Quaid-E-Azam University, according to Nepal Army Headquarters.
He had also completed Officers` Cadet Course from Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, UK.
Rana joined the Army in November 1970.
He is the son of Aditya Shumsher Rana, a former Major-General of the Nepal Army, and grandson of Babar Shumsher Rana and great-grandson of former Prime Minister Chandra Shumsher Rana, who ruled the country for 30 years between 1901 and 1930.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured