Lt Gen Gaurav Shumsher Rana sworn-in as Nepal Army Chief
Kathmandu: Lt Gen Gaurav Shumsher Rana was today sworn-in as Nepal`s Army Chief by President Ram Baran Yadav at a function here.
President Yadav administered the oath of office and secrecy to Rana and conferred him with insignia of Chief of Army Staff (CoAS) at a function at the Rastrapati Bhawan, at Shital Niwas, attended by Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai, Vice President Paramananda Jha, among other dignitaries.
India-educated Rana, has served in the Nepal Army for 39 years before his appointment to the top post through a cabinet decision.
The president is the supreme commander of Nepal Army.
Rana, 58, assumed the post of CoAS office after the term of his predecessor Chattraman Singh came to an end as he retired yesterday.
Rana has done his graduation from The Lawrance School, Sanawar, Himanchal Pradesh. He spent about 11 years in Himanchal Pradesh for his schooling, before joining the Nepal Army.
Rana has completed National Defence Course from the National Defence University of Pakistan and also received Masters` Degree in Defence and Strategic Studies from Pakistan`s Quaid-E-Azam University, according to Nepal Army Headquarters.
He had also completed Officers` Cadet Course from Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, UK.
Rana joined the Army in November 1970.
He is the son of Aditya Shumsher Rana, a former Major-General of the Nepal Army, and grandson of Babar Shumsher Rana and great-grandson of former Prime Minister Chandra Shumsher Rana, who ruled the country for 30 years between 1901 and 1930.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered