Maid charged with making ISD calls worth hundreds of dollars
Dubai: A 27-year-old South Asian housemaid has been charged with theft in a court here for stealing her employer`s SIM card and making international phone calls worth more than USD 2,000.
The owner of the SIM, a 27-year-old Emirati police officer, continued receiving bills totalling USD 2022.87 for August and September months on a card believed to be lost.
"My brother lost a SIM card, but since it was not registered in his name, he did not file a police complaint. He did not report it lost and did not apply for a substitute either," the complainant was quoted as saying by the Khaleej Times newspaper.
"We asked the maid whether she used that SIM card and she denied having used it. But a statement of calls from Etisalat showed there were calls made to Bangladesh," he said.
Two other maids, both Ethiopians, who work in the same house confirmed to the family that the accused did in fact have a mobile phone which she used to call her family in Bangladesh.
According to these maids, the accused claimed that her brother had given her the phone and the SIM card.
"She also let the other maids call their families in Ethiopia. But they did not know at that time that the card was stolen," the complainant added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened