Maid charged with making ISD calls worth hundreds of dollars
Dubai: A 27-year-old South Asian housemaid has been charged with theft in a court here for stealing her employer`s SIM card and making international phone calls worth more than USD 2,000.
The owner of the SIM, a 27-year-old Emirati police officer, continued receiving bills totalling USD 2022.87 for August and September months on a card believed to be lost.
"My brother lost a SIM card, but since it was not registered in his name, he did not file a police complaint. He did not report it lost and did not apply for a substitute either," the complainant was quoted as saying by the Khaleej Times newspaper.
"We asked the maid whether she used that SIM card and she denied having used it. But a statement of calls from Etisalat showed there were calls made to Bangladesh," he said.
Two other maids, both Ethiopians, who work in the same house confirmed to the family that the accused did in fact have a mobile phone which she used to call her family in Bangladesh.
According to these maids, the accused claimed that her brother had given her the phone and the SIM card.
"She also let the other maids call their families in Ethiopia. But they did not know at that time that the card was stolen," the complainant added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Katrina Kaif and Sidharth Malhotra's sizzling chemistry in 'Baar Baar Dekho' is making us crazy!
- Kareena is part of 'Veere Di Wedding': Sonam Kapoor
- Ajay Devgn, Emraan Hashmi starrer 'Baadshaho' begins shoot!
- Nitish Kumar seeks PM Modi's help to desilt Ganga, says feel like crying at river's condition in Bihar
- INSIDE DELHI METRO: Is this what happens to men who enter ladies coach? WATCH