Maid charged with making ISD calls worth hundreds of dollars
Dubai: A 27-year-old South Asian housemaid has been charged with theft in a court here for stealing her employer`s SIM card and making international phone calls worth more than USD 2,000.
The owner of the SIM, a 27-year-old Emirati police officer, continued receiving bills totalling USD 2022.87 for August and September months on a card believed to be lost.
"My brother lost a SIM card, but since it was not registered in his name, he did not file a police complaint. He did not report it lost and did not apply for a substitute either," the complainant was quoted as saying by the Khaleej Times newspaper.
"We asked the maid whether she used that SIM card and she denied having used it. But a statement of calls from Etisalat showed there were calls made to Bangladesh," he said.
Two other maids, both Ethiopians, who work in the same house confirmed to the family that the accused did in fact have a mobile phone which she used to call her family in Bangladesh.
According to these maids, the accused claimed that her brother had given her the phone and the SIM card.
"She also let the other maids call their families in Ethiopia. But they did not know at that time that the card was stolen," the complainant added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Mercury rises, rains likely later in the day
- ONGC saddled with Rs 392 cr additional royalty, Rs 1,100 cr burden on Oil India
- Vote Trump for equal pay and childcare, says Ivanka
- North Korean Air Koryo plane makes emergency landing in China - Xinhua
- A carnival of contrasting views near Cleveland''s Republican convention