Malala college in Pakistan shuts over Taliban fears
London: The authorities in Pakistan have shut down a college named after 15-year-old activist Malala Yousufzai in the Swat valley after a row over its new name.
The move, which is thought to be aimed at defusing demonstrations by students, followed fresh protests over a decision to rename the school after Malala, who was shot by the Pakistani Taliban on October 9 while she was travelling back home from school.
She was attacked as a ``punishment`` for speaking up against the terror outfit and advocating girls`` right to education, reports the BBC News. Girls at the college are demanding it revert to its previous name, Saidu Sharif college, saying that they fear for their security.
Over the weekend, Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik said that the school would retain the name of Malala. But on Monday evening, the regional government announced the college would shut indefinitely after more protests during the day, this time by boys from another college in Mingora, the main town in Swat. Last week, girls at the school tore down posters of Malala and demanded her name be removed from the school, saying they feared Taliban attacks.
Malala is currently recuperating at a hospital in the United Kingdom. Two other girls were also injured in the October attack but survived.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you