Malala college in Pakistan shuts over Taliban fears
London: The authorities in Pakistan have shut down a college named after 15-year-old activist Malala Yousufzai in the Swat valley after a row over its new name.
The move, which is thought to be aimed at defusing demonstrations by students, followed fresh protests over a decision to rename the school after Malala, who was shot by the Pakistani Taliban on October 9 while she was travelling back home from school.
She was attacked as a ``punishment`` for speaking up against the terror outfit and advocating girls`` right to education, reports the BBC News. Girls at the college are demanding it revert to its previous name, Saidu Sharif college, saying that they fear for their security.
Over the weekend, Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik said that the school would retain the name of Malala. But on Monday evening, the regional government announced the college would shut indefinitely after more protests during the day, this time by boys from another college in Mingora, the main town in Swat. Last week, girls at the school tore down posters of Malala and demanded her name be removed from the school, saying they feared Taliban attacks.
Malala is currently recuperating at a hospital in the United Kingdom. Two other girls were also injured in the October attack but survived.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?