Malala to launch football peace match
London: Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani schoolgirl shot in the head by the Taliban, has announced plans for a football match between the UAE and Pakistan to promote peace.
The 15-year-old launched the initiative alongside British-born Pakistani footballer Kashif Siddiqi, 27, in aid of the Malala Fund, a charity set up to fund girls` education in Pakistan.
The match will take place in Dubai on World Peace Day, September 21.
"Thank you for bringing awareness and support of education and equality for girls, through the power of sport, on such a significant day," Malala said in a video message for the ongoing Peace and Sport Dubai Forum 2013 in Dubai this week.
Siddiqi made the official announcement at the forum, which is running under the theme of `Building sustainable peace through sport. Together` and has brought together decision-makers from the world of politics, sport and the private sector.
He said the football match will be dedicated to Malala and her fund, which was set up to offer a safe place for girls to study as well as financial support for their families in her hometown of Swat Valley, Pakistan.
Malala, the youngest-ever Nobel Peace Prize nominee, returned to school in Birmingham last month.
She had been shot in the head by the Taliban in October last year in retribution for her advocacy for girls` education.
Malala had then been airlifted to the UK and following her recovery from a marathon surgery, she has signed a book deal worth about 3 million pounds to pen her memoirs.
The book, titled `I am Malala`, is scheduled for publication later this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them