Maldives President calls for peaceful elections on poll-eve
Male: A day ahead of crucial Presidential Elections in the country, Maldives President Mohammed Waheed Hassan on Friday called for restraint to ensure peaceful elections and urged people to accept the outcome.
Addressing the nation in a televised broadcast, President Waheed said all citizens must prioritise national peace and harmony over other interests.
He called on people to ensure that even the weakest were able to exercise their right to vote freely and asked them to accept the election result, reported Xinhua.
"Democracy is the will of the majority. Nonetheless, democracy is not a perfect system. Of all existing forms of government, democracy is believed to be the best form of government by the majority of people," said the President.
The Maldives has faced political turbulence since democratically-elected president Mohamed Nasheed was forced to resign in 2012 by then vice president Waheed in an alleged coup.
Transparency International in Maldives has said that politicisation of police and judiciary are the two main concerns for free and fair elections in the largely peaceful run-up to the presidential poll.
United Nations Secretary-General Ban-Ki-moon and the Commonwealth Secretariat as well as India have called for credible and peaceful elections in the Maldives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof