Marchers could have overthrown democracy: Qadri
Islamabad: Pakistan-born Canadian Tahirul Qadri has revealed long marchers in Islamabad were so enthusiastic that they could have occupied the Parliament House on his orders.
"Democracy would have been banished from the country, had I directed the sit-in participants to capture Parliament," Daily Times quoted Qadri as saying during a press conference in Lahore on Saturday.
The Tehrik-e-Minhajul Quran chief said that the peaceful march attended by "millions of people" had established a great example in the entire world.
Qadri said that arrangements had been finalised to launch an operation against the protesters on January 16 but police deployed for the security of the march decided to defy any crackdown order on the marchers.
Qadri had been protesting in the capital since Tuesday after having begun his `long march` from Lahore on Sunday.
Having shaken the Pakistan government with his three-day siege of the capital, demanding dissolution of Parliament, Qadri left for Lahore on Friday after signing an agreement with the government on the timing of the general elections.
On reaching Lahore, he said if the agreement signed with the government was not implemented, the marchers deserved the right to take extreme measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh