Massive fire breaks out at Langtang park in Nepal
Kathmandu: A massive fire broke out in Nepal`s Langtang National Park Area on Thursday, triggering rumours that the blaze was caused by volcanic eruption.
However, later the Nepal Army officials confirmed that it was indeed a forest fire and not a volcano eruption.
According to sources, the army battalion deployed in the area had informed about the smoke and fire to the Army Headquarters this morning.
About four kilometres of the park, located north of Kathmandu was gutted in the fire. There is no human settlement in the area which is mostly covered by rock, Nepal Army spokesperson Suresh Sharma said.
"After carrying out aerial inspection of the surrounding area, we came to the conclusion that it was a forest fire, not a volcanic eruption," Sharma said.
The dry grass and fodder of the area might have caught fire, as per our initial investigation but the detail investigation is yet to be carried, he added.
Senior geologist Dharma Raj Khadka told `Nepalnews` that that it was highly unlikely that a volcanic eruption had taken place in the area.
"There might be other reasons behind the `explosion`," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured