Mob baying for blasphemer’s blood forces thousands of Christians to flee homes in Lahore
Islamabad: A mob of almost 3,000 people forced a Christian community to flee for their lives, leaving behind their houses and possessions in Lahore.
The incident occurred in the Badami Bagh area, when one of the Christians was accused of blasphemy against Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).
According to the Express Tribune, the charged group gathered around Joseph Colony on Noor Road, led by Shafiq Ahmed, who was in search of the accused Savan.
The mob attacked Savan’s house, partially burnt it and pelted it with stones.
Other houses in the locality, home to about 150 Christian families, were also attacked. Many residents, including women and children, hastily fled to save themselves.
Savan could not be found. However, his father was caught and badly beaten. The vehicle of a pastor, who reached the area to inquire about the incident, was also damaged, the report said.
The episode began at 1 pm in the afternoon and end in the evening, when a large number of police personnel finally reached the spot and averted further damage.
According to the report, the police placated the mob by registering an FIR under section 295-C of the Pakistan Penal Code (death sentence) against Savan.
Despite all this, the protesters continued to claim that they would not let the families return until Savan’s arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days