MQM worker gunned down in Karachi
Karachi: An MQM worker was shot dead by
unidentified gunmen here Tuesday, triggering violent protests in the Pakistani port city that left several people injured and over a dozen vehicles damaged.
The gunmen entered the home of MQM worker Mansoor Mukhtar at PIB Colony this morning and killed him, party leader
Sagheer Ahmed said.
Two of Mukhtar`s relatives, including a woman, were
injured in the attack, Ahmed said.
On hearing of Mukhtar`s killing, a large number of MQM
workers gathered outside the hospital where his body was
The MQM workers set on fire a police van and damaged two
more vehicles before police dispersed them by firing in the
air, TV news channels reported.
Sporadic incidents of violence were reported from
various areas of Karachi, including Malir, Landhi and
The NGO Edhi Foundation, which runs a private rescue service, said at least three persons were injured in incidents of firing.
Footage on television showed several buses and private
vehicles burning on the streets.
Police said at least 14 vehicles were set on fire across
Following the violent protests, public transport went
off the streets and shops and markets closed down at several
MQM leader Sagheer Ahmed blamed the party worker`s
killing on the Aman Committee, a group that is reportedly
linked to leaders of the Pakistan People`s Party.
No group claimed responsibility for the killing.
Pakistan`s main financial hub has been rocked by ethnic and political violence several times in the past few years. Hundreds of people have died in the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters