NATO airstrike kills Haqqani leader
Kabul: NATO forces say they have killed a leader of the Haqqani insurgent group in an airstrike in eastern Afghanistan.
The international military coalition says Sher Mohammad Hakimi was killed on Sunday in Logar province.
Logar province police chief, Raeis Khan Rahimzai, says Hakimi was sitting under a tree with some associates when the NATO strike killed him. He says four others were injured.
Rahimzai says Hakimi was known for organizing roadside bomb attacks and for training insurgents. NATO says Hakimi transported weapons through the region and served directly under Haqqani leader Muhammad Agha.
The Pakistan-based Haqqani network is allied with the Taliban and al Qaeda and is believed to be responsible for a host of attacks in Kabul and surrounding provinces.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!