NATO caused `great suffering` to Afghanistan: Hamid Karzai
Zee Media Bureau
Kabul: Criticising NATO`s failure to bring peace in Afghanistan even after its decade long presence here, president Hamid Karzai on Monday said that the force has caused great suffering to the region, according to a BBC report.
Karzai added, "On the security front the entire Nato exercise was one that caused Afghanistan a lot of suffering, a lot of loss of life, and no gains because the country is not secure."
He further accused that NATO had incorrectly focused the fight on Afghan villages rather than Taliban safe havens in Pakistan.
Meanwhile, Hamid Karzai today called upon his countrymen to use their right to vote in the upcoming presidential elections, set for April 5, 2014. Karzai has just six months remaining in office until a successor is elected.
"I am calling upon all Afghans to use their suffrage in the upcoming elections. I am calling upon all those Afghans who are 18 years old to obtain voting card and use it in the voting day," Xinhua quoted Karzai as saying.
"Using the right of franchise determines the destination of the country and takes the country towards welfare and stability," he said.
Karzai also called on foreigners not to interfere in the electoral process.
He made the call a day after the deadline passed for registration of presidential candidates and provincial councils` members.
The registration period, set for Sep 16-Oct 6 was wrapped up late Sunday night during which 27 politicians including a woman, registered for the presidential poll, election commission officials said. In the provinces, 2,327 persons including 240 women, registered to stand for the council polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song