Nepal journos demand stern action in 2004 killing
Kathmandu: A group of 250 journalists in Nepal on Friday took out a rally to protest Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai`s recent statement against the arrests of Maoist cadres allegedly involved in a journalist`s killing.
The journalists, under the banner of the Federation of Nepalese Journalists (FNJ), also demanded stern action against those involved in the abduction and murder of radio journalist Dekendra Thapa in western Dailekh district in 2004.
Besides FNJ, journalist bodies like Press Chautari and Nepal Press Union took part in the rally that passed through major streets of Kathmandu.
"Nepal is heading towards anarchy as the Prime Minister himself has directed the Nepal Police to release the culprits involved in the murder of journalist Thapa," FNJ President Shiva Gaunle said.
"The prime minister`s statement is against both the principle of rule of law and press freedom," Gaunle said.
He also warned to launch intensified agitation if the government obstructs the legal process against the culprits.
On Tuesday, Bhattarai, who himself is a Maoist leader, had expressed dissatisfaction over the arrest of five Maoist cadres in the case, saying resurrection of civil war era cases was against the spirit of the peace accord.
Thapa, a reporter of state-run Radio Nepal, was abducted by alleged Maoist rebels from Dailekh district. The Maoists had tortured him in captivity for about a month before burying alive. His body was found in a jungle near Dwari village four years later in 2008.
The police last week arrested the Maoist cadres in connection to the abduction and murder. The Maoist cadres have admitted to police that they were involved in the killing of the journalist, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced