Nepal PM recalls JNU days
Kathmandu: Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai,
a scholar from the prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru University,
recalled his student life at the varsity campus during the
early 80s at a function organised here to launch the JNU
Alumni Association Nepal (JAAN).
57-year-old Bhattarai said he has emotional attachment
with the New Delhi-based University that has produced a number
of scholars and politicians.
"I have learnt many things from JNU which I have been
able to put into practice in the real life," said Bhattarai,
who got his Ph.D. from the university.
"I have gained knowledge and learnt to be a hardworker
from JNU and I am trying to put into practice the JNU culture
in my real life," he said.
During a recent interview to PTI, Bhattarai said that he
got his first political lesson in JNU.
Indian Ambassador to Nepal Jayanta Prasad, who had also
studied in JNU in the early seventies, said that JNU has
promoted connectivity among different people.
Prime Minister Bhattarai seemed to have more emotional
attachment with JNU than myself, he remarked.
A gathering of around 50-60 people which included JNU
graduates and current students at JNU formed JNU Alumni
Association Nepal (JAAN) at a function yesterday in the
presence of Prime Minister Bhattarai, Ambassador Prasad and
JNU`s Professor Alka Acharya.
Prof Madan Kumar Koirala was appointed as the chairman of
the 13 member adhoc committee and Deo Kumari Gurung became its
Rajiv Singh was appointed as the secretary and CB
Budhathoki as Joint Secretary.
"We will utilize the knowledge gained from JNU for the
upliftment of the Nepalese society," said Koirala.
"We will be involved in different academic exercises in
the society with the experience and knowledge we have gained
from JNU," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister