Nepal probes airport fire that halted flights
Kathmandu: Nepal on Wednesday instituted a high-level
committee to probe a fire breakout that brought the country`s
only international airport to a halt for hours.
The incident occurred yesterday evening in the eastern
part of the Tribhuvan International Airport here when the
grassland fire that started in the nearby bushes threatened a
All the fire brigades of Kathmandu along with hundreds of
security personnel had to be mobilised to contain the fire,
which the airport`s terminal buildings narrowly escaped.
It took two and a half hours for half a dozen fire
brigades of Kathmandu to put off the blaze.
The Tourism and Civil Aviation Ministry of Nepal today
formed a three-member probe committee to investigate the
The committee is headed by Joint Secretary in the Ministry
of Civil Aviation, Lokendra Bahadur Chhetri.
The committee has on it Home Ministry Undersecretary Bal
Krishna Panthi and Deputy Director General of the Civil
Aviation Authority of Nepal Krishna Bahadur Thapa, according
The committee has been asked to submit its report within
The fire started from the bushes near the Pepsicola Town
Planning, adjoining the eastern side of the airport, and
disrupted about half a dozen national and international
flights for three hours.
Some of the flights were diverted to Delhi, as the fire
brought the airport to a halt for hours.
The cause of the fire is not known yet.
It took more than two hours for six fire brigade vehicles
and hundreds of security officials to extinguish the fire on
the grassy field on the eastern side of the runway.
There was no human casualty or damage of property but the
incident raised serious security concerns at the country`s
only international airport.
In in June 2011, regular flights had to be delayed and
diverted for hours when several cracks appeared in the 3,050
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Forest fires rage in Uttarakhand; three NDRF teams deployed
- Raids at Andhra Pradesh transport official's premises reveal assets worth Rs 800 crores
- VIDEO: Have you ever seen this side of Rohit Sharma's personality? We bet not!
- Unbelievable offer! Samsung selling smartphones for Rs 1
- Anushka Sharma's 'Sultan' teaser to be out on her birthday?