Newly-wed dies of acid burns in Pakistan
Lahore: Newly-wed dies of acid burns in Pakistani Punjab
Lahore: A newly-wed woman in Pakistan`s Punjab province died of acid burns sustained during an attack by her brother-in-law, police said on Saturday.
The woman died on Friday in Multan district, 350 km from the provincial capital Lahore. According to the FIR, Shamim Bibi, 20, was allegedly attacked by her brother-in-law Din Muhammad after she failed to arrange her brother`s marriage with her husband`s sister.
Shamim Bibi of Jalalpur Pirwala village got married to Muhammad Yar recently. At the time of the marriage, her parents had promised to get their son married to her husband`s sister.
However, her parents later refused, saying they were not happy with the way Shamim Bibi was being treated by her in-laws.
Muhammad allegedly beat her for failing to convince her parents. She returned to her parents` house after the assault.
Muhammad and his mother then visited Shamim Bibi`s parents to take her back but they refused to let her go. They left the house but after an hour Muhammad returned with a plastic jar filled with acid and allegedly attacked Shamim Bibi.
She was taken to Multan`s Nishtar Hospital, where she succumbed to her burns yesterday.
Police have arrested Muhammad and the victim`s husband.
The Lahore High Court has taken notice of the incident and directed the District and Sessions Judge of Multan to probe the matter and submit a report regarding steps taken by police along with his comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!