Newly-wed dies of acid burns in Pakistan
Lahore: Newly-wed dies of acid burns in Pakistani Punjab
Lahore: A newly-wed woman in Pakistan`s Punjab province died of acid burns sustained during an attack by her brother-in-law, police said on Saturday.
The woman died on Friday in Multan district, 350 km from the provincial capital Lahore. According to the FIR, Shamim Bibi, 20, was allegedly attacked by her brother-in-law Din Muhammad after she failed to arrange her brother`s marriage with her husband`s sister.
Shamim Bibi of Jalalpur Pirwala village got married to Muhammad Yar recently. At the time of the marriage, her parents had promised to get their son married to her husband`s sister.
However, her parents later refused, saying they were not happy with the way Shamim Bibi was being treated by her in-laws.
Muhammad allegedly beat her for failing to convince her parents. She returned to her parents` house after the assault.
Muhammad and his mother then visited Shamim Bibi`s parents to take her back but they refused to let her go. They left the house but after an hour Muhammad returned with a plastic jar filled with acid and allegedly attacked Shamim Bibi.
She was taken to Multan`s Nishtar Hospital, where she succumbed to her burns yesterday.
Police have arrested Muhammad and the victim`s husband.
The Lahore High Court has taken notice of the incident and directed the District and Sessions Judge of Multan to probe the matter and submit a report regarding steps taken by police along with his comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'