Newly-wed woman dies of acid burns in Pakistan
Lahore: A newly-wed woman in Pakistan`s Punjab province died of acid burns which were allegedly inflicted by her brother-in-law, police said on Tuesday.
The incident occurred yesterday in Multan district, located 350 km from Lahore.
According to an FIR, Muhammad Din attacked his 23-year-old sister-in-law Shamim Bibi after her cousin spurned his offer of marriage. Shamim forwarded Din`s proposal but her cousin`s family turned it down.
Following a quarrel with Shamim over the issue, Din threw acid on her face and body and fled. She was rushed to Nishtar Hospital in Multan, where she succumbed to her injuries.
Police registered a case against Din on the basis of a complaint from Shamim`s husband Muhammad Yar, though no arrest has been made so far.
Pakistan recently enhanced the punishment for acid attacks, which are common, especially in Punjab province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation