Newly-wed woman dies of acid burns in Pakistan
Lahore: A newly-wed woman in Pakistan`s Punjab province died of acid burns which were allegedly inflicted by her brother-in-law, police said on Tuesday.
The incident occurred yesterday in Multan district, located 350 km from Lahore.
According to an FIR, Muhammad Din attacked his 23-year-old sister-in-law Shamim Bibi after her cousin spurned his offer of marriage. Shamim forwarded Din`s proposal but her cousin`s family turned it down.
Following a quarrel with Shamim over the issue, Din threw acid on her face and body and fled. She was rushed to Nishtar Hospital in Multan, where she succumbed to her injuries.
Police registered a case against Din on the basis of a complaint from Shamim`s husband Muhammad Yar, though no arrest has been made so far.
Pakistan recently enhanced the punishment for acid attacks, which are common, especially in Punjab province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday